You may have noticed a small leak in one of your rooms and thought it was nothing to worry about. Think again, even the smallest leak can lead to the beginnings of a big problem. Water damage can result in mould and bacterial growth within just 24 hours and this could cause serious effect for you and your families’ health. A damp home can seriously damage your respiratory system and is also the cause of many other illnesses too. Homes which are damp can result in all sorts of horrible health problems and can also lead to pest infestation.


Damp and therefore moisture is a prime breeding ground for bacteria. It doesn’t matter how much you clean a damp area, even with anti-bacterial products, the damp will still be there and therefore cause a risk to your health. Bacteria will continue to grow and spread in areas you can’t reach such as under the floorboards and behind skirting boards.


Water damaged homes have often tested higher for mouse allergens and even cockroach allergens. These types of pest could happily live in a damp environment and both pose a threat to your health through their faecal matter and presence in the home. Cockroach waste in particular is known as a trigger for asthma.

Dust Mites

Dust mites thrive in the damp like many other pests. People with allergies to dust mites will know how uncomfortable it can be when they’re about s they cause itchy eyes, respiratory problems and even more serious asthma-like symptoms. They are completely at home in warm, humid environments. Homes which have humidity levels of above 50% are absolutely ideal for dust mites.


Mould, particularly black mould, is often one of the first visible symptoms of a damp problem. The smell of mould is also very clear and pungent and can be the first sign of a serious and potentially damaging problem. New research is beginning to suggest that mould itself as well as bacteria and allergens can cause respiratory problems and aggravate asthma. However the research isn’t conclusive and it is not yet proven whether the mould itself causes the illness or it’s just indicative of an unhealthy damp atmosphere.

Quick home fixes for moisture problems will not work. Once they’ve reached the stage where they’re affecting your health an expert is necessary. Ventilation to avoid condensation is a great prevention but you should also consider proper damp coursing and if the problem has already gone too far it’s essential you call in specialists to deal with and solve the problem. The risk of permanent damage to your respiratory is real and therefore all the preventative measures you put into place are integral to protecting yourself and your family. Wherever you live there is the risk of damp and therefore preventative measures should be considered countrywide.

Similar Posts

1 Comment

  1. Dampness is a problem that can occur in any home, and it can lead to a number of health problems. Dampness can cause respiratory problems, and it can also lead to the growth of mold and mildew. Mold and mildew can cause a number of health problems, including asthma and other respiratory problems. Dampness can also cause skin problems, and it can lead to the development of rot.

Leave a Reply